10 Tips for Home Schooling
We, at Minerva Tuition, understand that home schooling can be a daunting prospect. Here are our 10 tips for parents while schools are closed in Hong Kong. Good luck!
1. PLAN THE WEEK IN ADVANCE Use the school timetable as a guide, but use this time, also, to focus on areas in which your children feel less confident.
2. STRUCTURE THE DAY Follow the model of school days - lessons with breaks between; longer breaks mid-morning and at lunch.
3. VARY THE CONTENT “Variety is the spice of life. Teach different subjects or topics through the day.
4. ISOLATE “KEY CONCEPTS” Focus on the most important themes/ideas/dates etc which need to be remembered from lesson to lesson.
5. RECAP Start each new session recapping on the previous. Ask questions. Do not be afraid to revisit something which has the pupil has not retained.
6. USE QUESTIONS Not ‘closed’ questions: 'Do you understand the poem now?' Rather: ‘What were the writer’s feelings about the storm?’
7. VARY TEACHING STYLE Try to “think outside the box”. Use role play/ Youtube clips / Flash Cards / Games.
8. USE THE ‘NET’ Excellent resources are available on teacher friendly sites - The Times Educational Supplement, BBC BiteSize etc.
9. BE FLEXIBLE If a topic isn’t working, leave it. Move onto something else or take a break. You can always come back to it.
10. BUILD IN “TREATS” incorporate activities for your children to look forward to. These might be wholly frivolous – an afternoon watching a film and eating popcorn! Involve your children in the planning.We are always happy to offer advice in these challenging times.
Email: Valerie.firstname.lastname@example.org. https://www.minervatuition.com